Monday, March 30, 2009

Boom Bust Recovery project










RECOVERY
. Franklin D. Roosevelt – This is a picture of the president Franklin Roosevelt. The reason I chose this picture is because it’s good to remember such a strong president who had undergone so many accusations and hard times with his country happy.
. The new deal – This is a picture of a hand of cards. The reason I chose this picture is because like the program Roosevelt set up, it ensured a whole new card game with fair chances to win and to lose, but it was new and fair.
. 100 Days – This sis a picture of President Roosevelt in his first 100 days in office. The reasoning behind choosing this picture is that he looks stressed out and worried, which is totally expected due to the conditions of our country at the time.
.FDIC (Glass-Steagall Act) – This is a picture of the FDIC logo or sign. The reason I chose this picture is because it was the most commonly known and seen sign for FDIC at the time,
. SEC (Federal Securities Act) – This is a picture of the S.E.C.’s symbol. The reason that I chose this picture is because, like an eagle, helped the U.S. soar into honesty and non misleading accusations pertaining to the stock market.
. Social Security Act – This is a picture of a social security card. The reason I chose this picture is because it was a replica of the first card to be distributed. (It was given to President Franklin Delano).
. Motion Pictures – This is a picture of Eadweared Muybridge. The reason I chose this picture is because Muybridge was a very famous motion picture artists right after the Great Depression.
. TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) – This is a picture a dam built in the Tennessee Valley. The reason I chose this picture is because it shows the dam really well, so you can see how much work was applied by the workers, and also so you can see how much energy must be created by a dam that big.
. NYA (National Youth Administration) – This is a picture of some women in an office that were in the National Youth Administration. The reason I chose this picture is because it is women in it. It shows the difference between the NYA and the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) because the CCC didn’t have young women training and job opportunities.
. CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) – This picture is of young men who were involved in the CCC. The reason I chose this picture is because it was one of the first to be taken of this group, and they looked so happy and kind of excited, and I think that they were proud to be in and represent this new group.

BUST



. Herbert Hoover – This is a picture of former President Herbert Hoover. The reason I chose this picture is because his facial expression looks so smug and fake, just like how his presidency was that screwed everyone over.
. Stock Market – This is a graph of stock market highs and lows. The reason I chose this picture was to show the extreme extent of which the stock market fell.
. Great Depression – This is a picture of a mother and her children during the great depression. The reason that I chose this picture was to show how the great depression had its name for a reason. You can see it in her eyes and in her furrowed brow how bad that period had an effect on the people and the economy. You can see it all in her face.
. Dust bowl – This is a picture of some houses about to be taken over by a cloud of dust during a dust storm. I chose this picture because it looks so crazy, and apparently that how bad it really was during a storm. I couldn’t even imagine.
. Hoovervilles – These are some of the many Hoovervilles that were very numerous and common during the Great Depression. The reason I chose this picture was because it really shows how bad these were; with the scrap tin roofs and some without doors.
. Soup Kitchens – This is a picture of 4 men eat their rations at a soup kitchen. The reason I chose this picture is because you can see how thin their faces are and how content the men look eat, which in a nut shell shows us how important these kitchens were to men (and women, children, etc.).
. The Grapes of Wrath – This is the cover of the book, the Grapes of Wrath. The reason I chose this as the picture was because I thought it appropriate, given that we’re talking about the book.
. Black Tuesday – This is a picture I pulled off of Google when I typed in black Tuesday. This is an awful picture to describe that day, but I chose it to show that the people in this picture are even equal to .1% of the people who were affected by this awful day in time.
. Great Depression’s effects of city dwellers – This is a picture of a part of a city during the great depression. The reason I chose this picture is because it is really portraits the city at, hopefully, it’s worst.
. Bread Lines- This is a picture of a bread line. The reason I chose this picture is because even though they’re smiling the camera, It shows the thickness and how long the line was.


BOOM

. Red Scare – This picture is supposed to represent the red scare. I chose this picture because the figure is unknown, and you can’t see its face, which represents the unknowingness of this period, but it’s still there.
. “Negro leagues” – This is a picture of Jackie Robinson. The reason I chose this picture of him is because he looks so intent and focused, which is what I imagine he to be present to be successful in this new and strange to the world league.
. Harlem renaissance – This is a picture that was created during the Harlem Renaissance. I chose it because I know that music and dance were a huge part of this period, and so was art, so something that combined all three made me figure that I had pretty much summed it all up.
. Amelia Earhart – This is a picture of Amelia Earhart. I chose this picture because her facial expressions show me optimism and independence, which is exactly how I would describe her through her personality and achievements.
. Langston Hughes – This is a picture of Langston Hughes. I chose this picture because although he was a writer and poet who expressed deep and meaningful feeling about his culture, he also had a funny side. I thought this picture showed it and I just thought that it fit.
. NAACP – This is a picture of the NAACP symbol. I chose this picture because it was the most recognized symbol for this group, and like the group, the symbol was straight forward about the things that it wants and wants people to know.
. Bessie Smith – This is a picture of the very popular blues singer, Bessie Smith. I chose this picture because I think that a picture says 1 million words, and she just looked so happy doing what she did best: singing.
. Zora Neale Hurston – This is a picture of the author and folklorist Zora Hurston. The reason I chose this picture is because
. Radio technology and its effects – This is a picture of a radio. The reason I chose this picture was because this is what they probably looked like back in that day.
. Scopes Trial – This is a picture of a monkey that is supposed to be representing John Scopes. I chose this picture because he was sitting there in court saying that he didn’t remember if he had taught the children about evolution, basically saying what the monkey is in the picture.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Good product. See notes on the grading rubric. Your received 30/30 points for your post and for leaving your two critiques.